Re: [RFC] PPS: Implementing LinuxPPS API with new syscalls

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 16:31:04 EST

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:25:01 +0200 Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after a little studing on new generic netlink interface and some
> letters with Andrew Morton I decided to drop using the netlink API at
> all and start using new specific syscalls.
>
> Looking at current LinuxPPS API and at RFC2783 I think we need the
> following syscalls:
>
> asmlinkage long sys_time_pps_find(int cmd, int __user *source,
> char __user *name, int namelen,
> char __user *path, int pathlen);
> asmlinkage long sys_time_pps_getparams(int source,
> struct pps_params __user *params);
> asmlinkage long sys_time_pps_setparams(int source,
> const struct pps_params __user *params);
> asmlinkage long sys_time_pps_getcap(int source, int __user *mode);
> asmlinkage long sys_time_pps_fetch(int source, const int tsformat,
> struct pps_info __user *info,
> const struct timespec __user *timeout);

Could we please also see those structs which are being passed in and out of
the kernel? It's a bit hard to understand the proposed interface without
that information.

They don't have to be 100% accurate - just an overview.

Hopefully each member of these structs has a little comment explaining what
it is, too...

Thanks.