Re: ThinkPad T41 - Strange USB 2.0 behaviour

From: Robert de Rooy
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 17:42:59 EST

Joel Becker wrote:
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:23:19PM +0200, Robert de Rooy wrote:
On my ThinkPad T41 USB 2.0 behaves strange. Most USB 2.0 devices, refuse to function as such. Under Windows I get a message that I should plug the device into a USB 2.0 port (but it continues to function as USB 1.1), while under Linux I need to manually unload ehci-hcd before I can access the device.

The strange thing is that these USB 2.0 devices used to work just fine, and still do on other machines. In addition I have one USB 2.0 memory key that still works fine (both under Windows and Linux).

Now to be honest, I think this is a hardware problem, as I have had another T41p before that also suddenly no longer liked USB 2.0 devices, and if you search with Google you find other ThinkPad T41 users complaining about similar behaviour.

Hardware problem. You need a new system board. I had this
problem on my T41, devices would sometimes work, sometimes not
(depending on the reboot). If I plugged in a USB 1.1 hub, then pluged
the memory reader into the hub, it would always work at 1.1 speeds.
New system board, USB 2.0 works just fine.

Joel
Yes I figured it was a hardware problem, but that was not really the point I was trying to raise ;). I would like, if possible for Linux to automatically fallback to USB 1.1 like Windows does (preferably with a suitable warning).

Regarding getting the systemboard replaced, this machine is already scheduled for replacement, and I should be getting a new one in the next few weeks. But other users apparently have been having similar problems, and might not want to get the (presumably out-of-warranty) systemboard replaced.