From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 13:29:46 EST

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Tarkan Erimer wrote:

> > Last heard, Linus was quite impressed with the toned down version of
> > the final draft of GPLv3.

I was impressed in the sense that it was a hell of a lot better than the
disaster that were the earlier drafts.

I still think GPLv2 is simply the better license.

I consider dual-licensing unlikely (and technically quite hard), but at
least _possible_ in theory. I have yet to see any actual *reasons* for
licensing under the GPLv3, though. All I've heard are shrill voices about
"tivoization" (which I expressly think is ok) and panicked worries about
Novell-MS (which seems way overblown, and quite frankly, the argument
seems to not so much be about the Novell deal, as about an excuse to push
the GPLv3).

More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at