ide0=noprobe, hda=noprobe, hda=none ignored?

From: Carlo Wood
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 14:55:17 EST

I've been trying for months to get my box to boot faster
by ignoring the not connected hda/hdb (ide0).

ansset:~>dmesg | egrep '(noprobe|ide0|hda|hdb)'

Kernel command line: root=/dev/hde3 ro ide0=noprobe
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffdb8)
etc.

or

Kernel command line: root=/dev/hde3 ro hda=none hdb=none
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffdb8)

same for hda=noprobe hdb=noprobe

Nothing helps.

Is this a bug or not? I'd think that saying "noprobe" means
"do NOT probe" - but it probes anyway.

The documentation also tells me that =none should CERTAINLY
make it ignore the non-existant drives - but it keeps probing.

Shouldn't an explicitely added kernel parameter be taken a
little bit more serious by the kernel? Independent on whether
or not a drive is detected (or what the CMOS might think about
that), I think that the kernel should REALLY, totally ignore
an ide and/or hdX if so explicitely requested with a kernel
parameter.

Anything I missed?

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@xxxxxxxxxx>

PS Sorry if this is a FAQ (it seems so) -- I just can't find
a satisfactory answer anywhere as to why explicit parameters
like this are ignored and want to ask to change this. Or,
I cannnot find the solution for this problem and get my
damn ide0 NOT probed.