Re: call for more SD versus CFS comparisons (was: Re: [ck]Mainline plans)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 04:36:51 EST

* Tobias Gerschner <tobias.gerschner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did run massive_intr.c for 60 secs with increasing nproc (
> 10,20,30,40,50,60) waiting for effects.
>
> Below a small table of the results
>
> 2.6.21.1-cfs-v16
>
> nproc , usability result
>
> 10 , serious frame drops , Firefox hardly recognizes clicked links,
> but still usable
> 20 - 30, usability loss ( somehow under cfs firefox never finished
> user requests like displaying web pages or opening new pages , no
> feedback anymore, sudden changes on the desktop )

ouch! The expected load-testing result under CFS should be something
like this:

http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2007-June/007817.html

could you send me the output of /proc/sched_debug? (while say a
"massive_intr 20" is running?)

Roughly what hardware do you have? (could you send me your lspci -v
output and dmesg output?)

Ingo