Re: [ANNOUNCE] Btrfs: a copy on write, snapshotting FS

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 12:24:43 EST

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Chris Mason wrote:
But, I'm not planning on adding a way to say user X in subvolume Y has
quota Z. I'll just be: this subvolume can't get bigger than a given
size. (at least for version 1.0).

I am affraid that this one is a major stopper for any production usage. Think about OpenVZ (or similar) VPSes. Of course having each VPS in own subvolume on the same device and being able to limit each subvolume is more than cool but on the other hand admin in VPS really needs to be able to set normal quotas for his users.

Other than that your project looks really good and interesting.

I also wonder if it is (would be) possible to set per-tree quotas like this:

/a - 20GB
/a/b - 10GB
/a/b/c - 2GB
/a/d - 5GB
/e - 30GB

meaning that whole subtree under /a is limited to 20GB, whole tree under /a/b is limited to both 20GB of /a and also by 10GB of /a/b, tree under /a/b/c is limited by 20GB of /a, 10GB of /a/b and 2GB of /a/b/c and so on? Or only /a and /e could be limited?

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski