Re: [RFD] Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 16:36:53 EST

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 02:18:18PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Yes, but this file, and the stable-api-nonsense.txt files are there to
> > help people understand both the kernel's philosophy, as well as
> > encourage them to help contribute.
> >
> > That is totally different from internationalizing the internal kernel
> > messages (which, btw, some people are working on...) That I would not
> > agree to as it's just too hard to keep up with and would be pointless in
> > a way.
> >
> > So I really do want to see a translated copy of the HOWTO,
> > stable-api-nonsense.txt, and possibly a few other files in the main
> > kernel tree (SubmittingPatches, CodingStyle, and SubmittingDrivers might
> > all be good canidates for this.) These files change relativly
> > infrequently (the HOWTO file has had only 7 changes in 1 and 1/2 years,
> > and they were very minor ones) and should be easy for the translators to
> > keep up with.
>
> But what is the point of having them in tree?

Wider exposure. It will greatly increase the "google-juice" of it and
helps out when pointing people at the needed information.

> Plus, I'm not even sure if we have enough space. There are lots of
> languages.

"space"? Since when are we running out of space? The kernel is "only"
growing at 10% a year and is a mere 8.1 million lines or so. We have
plenty of space on the mirrors to take up :)

thanks,

greg k-h