Re: ext2 on flash memory

From: Ph. Marek
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 01:17:01 EST

On Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2007, DervishD wrote:
> Your message is very peculiar... because I already have a similar
> thing working on my system ;))) I tried FSVS and I didn't like it fully
> (don't ask me why, I don't even remember, that was a time ago), so I
> wrote my own system.
Well, if you ever remember (or do a new try), please tell me (or the mailing
lists) your suggestions/ideas.

> Instead of a complex solution, I opted for a simple (but ad-hoc)
> solution, writing a pre-commit-hook in Perl and a couple of files to
> store the metadata. Very simple but I have all my system configuration
> files (and other files that I want to have versioned) under SVN.
But you'd still need to manually restore the permissions, don't you?
And I think you don't take devices ...
BTW, "fsvs status" is much faster than "svn status" ... sometimes faster than
find (on cold caches).

> Thanks for your suggestion anyway, because I think that the concept
> (having versioned system files) is interesting and very useful :))
I think so too.

Thank you for your answer!

Regards,

Phil