[2.6.22-rc4] kexec failed: invalid argument

From: S.ÃaÄlar Onur
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 14:10:49 EST

Hi;

With current Linus's git tree + current kexec-tools-testing [1] (also with
kexec-tools-1.101) tree "kexec -e" call on reboot failed with following;

kexec failed: invalid argument

kexec document says its users responsibility to close running softwares,
mounting disks in read only mode etc. and it suggest calling "kexec -e" just
before the "reboot" call and talks about future merge with sysvinit's reboot
and kexec, and when i did it, it will not starts new kernel and instead gaves
that error.

But more supringuisly if i try to execute "kexec -e" directly (in init3 with
rw disks and lots of running software) it will starts new kernel without a
problem.

For reference im using following kexec line for loading the kernel
kexec -l /boot/kernel-2.6.22-rc4-CFS-v16 --append="root=/dev/sda3" --initrd=/boot/initramfs-2.6.22-rc4-CFS-v16

I'm not sure this is a regression or my(maybe me or kexec document misses some
point) mistake cause this is my first attempt to use kexec, but i want to
report the situation :)

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/horms/kexec-tools-testing.git;a=summary

Cheers
--
S.ÃaÄlar Onur <caglar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!