From: Rob Landley
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 23:19:24 EST

On http://www.busybox.net the March 26, 2006 entry reads:

> 27 March 2006 -- Software Freedom Law Center representing BusyBox and
> uClibc One issue Erik Andersen wanted to resolve when handing off BusyBox
> maintainership to Rob Landley was license enforcement. BusyBox and uClibc's
> existing license enforcement efforts (pro-bono representation by Erik's
> father's law firm, and the Hall of Shame), haven't scaled to match the
> popularity of the projects. So we put our heads together and did the
> obvious thing: ask Pamela Jones of Groklaw for suggestions. She referred us
> to the fine folks at softwarefreedom.org.
>
> As a result, we're pleased to
> announce that the Software Freedom Law Center has agreed to represent
> BusyBox and uClibc. We join a number of other free and open source software
> projects (such as X.org, Wine, and Plone in being represented by a fairly
> cool bunch of lawyers, which is not a phrase you get to use every day.

See also the September 29, 2006 entry where we set up an email address to
forward license violation reports directly to them so we wouldn't have to
deal with any of it.

I'd say this "hasn't cost me a dime", but I believe I'm on my third stamp.

(I also note that I'm not busybox maintainer anymore and Erik isn't uclibc
maintainer anymore either, but since it's our copyrights they're basing the
enforcement actions on, they still bounce an email off us every few months.)

Rob
- Ken Thompson.