From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 15:33:20 EST

On Jun 15, 2007, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What this means for the FSF goals if Tivo get up one morning and switch
> their system firmware to ROM however is interesting 8)

I'm not the FSF, and I don't speak for it, but it seems to me that
this would be "mission accomplished".

The goal AFAIK is not to force people to enable others to hack the
hardware or software to their liking. The goal is respect for the
freedoms, it's not making it more difficult for others to do what you
can and want to do. I guess it also goes under the name "Golden
Rule". Others might phrase it as tit-for-tat, or quid pro quo.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/