From: Daniel Hazelton
Date: Sat Jun 16 2007 - 14:23:42 EST

On Saturday 16 June 2007 12:57:59 Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2007, Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not the FSF, and I don't speak for it, but it seems to me that
> >> this would be "mission accomplished".
> >
> > This is insane. You start with a lofty ideal involving "freedom", and
> > when you end up with a meaningless technicality (and in technical terms
> > a change for the worse) you consider it a victory?
>
> It accomplishes the mission in that everyone is on the same grounds.
> Same freedom for everyone. If the vendor tries to keep a privilege
> over the software to itself, denying it to its customers, it's failing
> to comply with the spirit of the license. It's really this simple.
> Is this so hard to understand?

-ELOGIC

They are not keeping a priviledge over the *SOFTWARE* at all. They are keeping
a priviledge over the *HARDWARE*. But, of course, you've already proven to
everyone here that you are unwilling and/or unable to understand that.

> The goal is not to push vendors away from GPLed software. If they
> can't permit modification of the software, that's fine, they can still
> accomplish this.

replacement != modification

If you can't understand that simple fact, then its pointless to continue this
discussion.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.