Re: [AGPGART] intel_agp: use table for device probe

From: Dave Jones
Date: Sun Jun 17 2007 - 20:16:46 EST

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:06:43AM +0200, Carlo Wood wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 06:49:18PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > ok, then you must have CONFIG_AGP=y
>
> I do - not voluntary however. For some mysterious reason I am
> unable to set it to n or m.

You likely have CONFIG_IOMMU set. This makes AGP non-optional.

> I am also not able to set CONFIG_AGP_INTEL
> to n, only to y or m.
> (using make 'menuconfig' for example).

Can't explain that one.

> > > Hence, in the case that the kernel works, intel-agp is loaded
> > > WITHOUT printing this Detected line
> >
> > That doesn't make much sense. The hardware doesn't change between
> > a working & not-working kernel, and somehow the PCI probing fails.
> > Hmm, do you have CONFIG_EDAC set ?
>
> CONFIG_EDAC=m
>
> $ lsmod | grep edac

ok, red herring.

> > There's an outstanding bug (well, lack of feature) , where it claims
> > the PCI device before AGP gets a chance to.
> > This is unrelated to your hang however, but would at least explain
> > the inconsistent probing.
> >
> > > Perhaps my "solution" is to remove this module completely?
> > > I don't seem to need it.
> >
> > It's needed only for 3d,
>
> Nope - I just played UT2004 without problems, and without intel-agp loaded.

Using the nvidia driver? It has its own built-in AGP support which will
get used if the kernel AGP support is missing.

> > but it'd be good to figure out why its so
> > broken on your system, even if you don't need it.
>
> Please tell me what to do / try.
> I'm an experienced coder - but I never really played with the
> kernel before - so you'll have to spell out how to turn on debugging etc.

Right now, I'm at a loss to explain the corruption, so it's
difficult to suggest what to try.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk