Re: man-pages-2.57 is released

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 10:07:15 EST

Michael Kerrisk <mtk-manpages@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ./man2/ioperm.2
> FIXME is the following ("Only the first 0x3ff I/O ports can be
> specified in this manner") still true? Looking at changes in
> include/asm-i386/processor.h between 2.4 and 2.6 suggests
> that the limit is different in 2.6.

You now have the full 64Kb port bitmap (8 KB).

BTW1: linux/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c still states having 8K of bitmaps to
be excessive (and implicitely and now wrongly as not being done). Since
there should only be few processes requiring iopl, the 8K should not be
excessive. We need a native speaker to change this text, at least not me
right now.

CC Linus, because he admitted fiddeling with this file. (No MAINTAINER found)

BTW2: My (possibly outdated) iopl manpage states that you'll need to be root
change the iopl, but you only need CAP_SYS_RAWIO in order to increase the
iopl.
--
Have you ever noticed that the Klingons are all speaking unix?
"Grep ls awk chmod." "Mknod ksh tar imap."