Re: [BUG] long freezes on thinkpad t60

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 13:50:22 EST

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> > Hmm? Untested, I know. Maybe I overlooked something. But even the
> > generated assembly code looks fine (much better than it looked before!)
>
> Boots and runs fine. Fixes the freezes as well, which is not such a
> big surprise, since basically any change in that function seems to do
> that ;)

Yeah, and that code really was *designed* to make all "locking in a loop"
go away. So unlike the patches adding random barriers and cpu_relax()
calls (which might fix it for some *particular* hw setup), I pretty much
guarantee that you can never get that code into a situation where there is
some lock being starved on *any* hw setup.

Ingo, an ack for the patch, and I'll just apply it?

Linus