Re: Dumping the checksums in a module

From: John Sigler
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 10:40:54 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 13:59 +0200, John Sigler wrote:

As far as I understand (which is not very far), if I define
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS,

just don't enable modversions.. it doesn't provide you any real safety
at all..... and it makes your build a LOT slower.

I'm confused. What is the consensus on MODVERSIONS around here?
How many people share your views?

I was under the impression MODVERSIONS was a good thing(TM).

If I don't enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, then I'll have to recompile my out-of-tree modules every time I upgrade the kernel, even if I'm just upgrading from 2.6.20.7 to 2.6.20.8, unless I force the insertion.

I also have a few binary modules. If I force the insertion, I won't know they have become binary incompatible until they blow up later, or, worse, lead to silent corruption.

Please correct any and all misconceptions.

Regards.