Re: mea culpa on the meaning of Tivoization

From: Hans-JÃrgen Koch
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 18:09:32 EST

Am Dienstag 19 Juni 2007 20:32 schrieb Alexandre Oliva:
> On Jun 19, 2007, Hans-JÃrgen Koch <hjk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Am Dienstag 19 Juni 2007 04:46 schrieb Alexandre Oliva:
> >> The distrust for the FSF led to this very short-sighted decision of
> >> painting the Linux community into a corner from which it is very
> >> unlikely to be able to ever leave, no matter how badly it turns out to
> >> be needed.
>
> > I'm neither in a corner nor do I feel the need for a different license.
>
> Yes. Some day you may. And then what will you or anyone else be able
> to do about it?

A lot of awful things could happen to you or me _tomorrow_. Are you prepared
for everything? I'm not. If I'd try to be prepared for every possible
disaster, you'd rightly call me mentally ill.

Even if my code is used on a Tivo-like device, I can sleep well and don't
need a different license. These are the _normal_ grey areas that _every_
license or law contains.

> >> Let's just hope it never is, or that some influx of
> >> long-sighted comes in
>
> > Kernel programmers are short-sighted? What kind of arrogance is that?
>
> It's just stating the obvious. The upgrade path is a nightmare.

Well, maybe. Maybe this is a topic that needs further discussion.
But I don't find it very important as we're not in a situation where
we urgently need a new license.

[...]

Hans