From: david
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 19:57:52 EST

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On Jun 19, 2007, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

if a company doesn't care about tivoizing then they won't do it, it
takes time and money to tivoize some product and it will cause
headaches for the company.

their reasons for wanting to tivoize a product may be faulty, but they
think that the reasons are valid or they wouldn't go to the effort.

Absolutely right. And we'll get to that. Please just be patient.

In fact, how much the company cares about tivoizing is completely
irrelevant to that point. I shouldn't even have included it, but I
did because I thought it would be useful as a boundary condition.

So just disregard that.

Is there agreement that, comparing tivoized and non-tivoized hardware,
we get'd more contributions if the hardware is not tivoized, because
users can scratch their own itches, than we would for tivoized
hardware?

if you also make the assumption that the company won't use propriatary software instead then I think you would get agreement. but the disagrement is over this exact assumption. you assume that these companies will use non-tivoized products if you make it hard to use the software covered by the GPL, most other people are saying that they disagree and the result would be fewer companies useing software covered by GPL instead.

David Lang