Re: [RFC][Patch 2/3]integrity: IMA as an integrity service provider

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 10:46:04 EST

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 22:18 -0400, James Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Mimi Zohar wrote:
>

> > +/* what could we exclude
> > + * - non-executable/non-library files ?
> > + * - /proc /dev ?
> > + * Only measure files opened for read-only or execute
> > + */
> > +static int skip_measurement(struct inode *inode, int mask)
> > +{
> > + if ((inode->i_sb->s_magic == PROC_SUPER_MAGIC) ||
> > + (inode->i_sb->s_magic == SYSFS_MAGIC)) {
> > + return 1; /*can't measure */
> > + }
>
> I'm pretty sure you should skip measurement for many more pseudo
> filesystems than this.

The LSM module controls what is measured and should only be calling
integrity_measure() for appropriate files. IBAC, for example, only
calls integrity_measure() for executables from bprm_check_security()
and file_mmap() and for other regular files from inode_permission(),
based on the existence of the 'security.measure' xattr, which is
labeled by a userspace application. The integrity provider, here,
is just doing a quick sanity check, but I'll definitely make it
more complete and fix the comment to make this clearer.

Thanks!

Mimi