From: Andrew McKay
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 17:41:28 EST

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Jun 20, 2007, Andrew McKay <amckay@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

However, I don't see how this would ever require a company like Tivo
or Mastercard to have their networks play nice with a unit that has
been modified by the end user, potentially opening up some serious
security holes.

Which is why the GPLv3 doesn't make the requirement that you stated.

So if it's not a requirement of the GPLv3, then Tivo could deny content based signing the binary image of the Linux kernel and using that signature as authentication on their network (or their content providers network). A modified Tivo box would not be able to preform it's original task of being a PVR at that point, at least with the content provider's signal. Seems pretty pointless to me. Seems like almost the same thing as not allowing an unsigned Linux kernel to boot on the system. Though it would still be possible to get the Tivo box to play tetris or something like that.

Andrew McKay