Re: [1/2] 2.6.22-rc5: known regressions with patches

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 18:39:55 EST

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Ian McDonald wrote:

> Can this one be merged so that it makes it into 2.6.22?
>

> > Subject : CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA prevents kprobes from working on 2.6.22-rc2
> >

> Regards,

Well, for 2.6.22, Kprobes will just be disabled if you use DEBUG_RODATA.

And yes, that patch already got merged. However, the patch to *allow*
Kprobes with DEBUG_RODATA is not, and will not be. It's not a regression,
and quite frankly, I don't think I would even want that patch.

Kprobes fundamntally disagrees with DEBUG_RODATA, there's no point in
"working around it". Better just admit it.

Linus