From: Michael Poole
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 22:40:29 EST

David Schwartz writes:

>> However, compilations (even to the extent they are creative
>> combinations) are not necessarily derivative works of their elements.
>> For more details, see
>> http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html#compilations
>
> Because compilation copyrights don't really affect the Tivo and GPLv2/GPLv3
> issue, I tend to ignore them when discussing that subject. If you think I'm
> wrong and there is some relationship between them, please let me know. I
> admit I may not have given that possibility enough thought.

I believe compilation copyrights do bear on GPL-licensed software, by
virtue of the GPL's sentence "[...] rather, the intent is to exercise
the right to control the distribution of derivative _or collective_
works based on the Program." (emphasis added).

There is a lot of grey and/or arguable area about what constitutes a
GPL-encumbered collective work versus mere aggregation. Although I
disagree, I understand and respect that some believe that the kernel
plus a digital signature over it is "mere aggregation". I would like
to focus the discussion on that question, though, rather than whether
the GPL is worded to control the rights to compilations-in-general
that include GPLed works.

Michael Poole