From: david
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 02:29:38 EST

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

On Jun 21, 2007, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Jun 20, 2007, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

but the signature isn't part of the kernel, and the code that checks
the signature is completely independant.

Well, then remove or otherwise mangle the signature in the disk of
your TiVo DVR and see at what point the boot-up process halts.

I have actually done exactly that. what happens is that the bootloader
detects a problem and switches to the other active partition ane
reboots. ir neither of the boot partitions meet the requirements the
cycle will continue forever.

Oh, too bad. That must be a bug in the boot loader, right? :-)

BTW, since you got a TiVo... I'm writing an article on Tivoization,
could you (or anyone else) please help me get information as to what
other GPLed programs or libraries TiVo includes in their devices?

Thanks in advance,

frankly, I haven't checked the licenses on the software. I'd suggest going to www.tivo.com/linux and download all the source for all the different versions there.

by the way, it looks like there is one wireless driver that they ship in some releases but don't provide the source for. but if you plan on going after them for that you better go after everyone who ships binary kernel modules.

David Lang