Re: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation,pathname matching

From: david
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 15:30:22 EST

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

If that is the only way to implement AA on top of SELinux - and so far,
noone has made a better suggestion - I'm convinced that AA has technical
merit: it does something the on-disk label based approach cannot handle,
and for which there is demand.

What demand? SELinux is superior to AA, and there was very little
demand for AA. Compare demand for reiser4 or suspend2 with demand for
AA.

well, if you _really_ want people who are interested in this to do weekly "why isn't it merged yet you $%#$%# developers" threads that can be arranged.

the people who want this have been trying to be patient and let the system work. if it takes people being pests to get something implemented it can be done, but I don't think other people on the list will appriciate this.

The code has improved, and continues to improve, to meet all the coding
style feedback except the bits which are essential to AA's function

Which are exactly the bits Christoph Hellwig and Al Viro
vetoed. http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0706.1/2587.html
. I believe it takes more than "2 users want it" to overcome veto of
VFS maintainer.

so you are saying that _any_ pathname based solution is not acceptable to the kernel, no matter what?

David Lang