Re: Linux Kernel include files

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 23:38:34 EST

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 01:38 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> The main problems are not really hard to fix......
>
> - Most problems eem to be related to the fact that Linux does not
> use C-99 based types in the kernel and the related type definitions
> are not written in plain C. This is something that should be fixed
> with a source consolidation program or by defining aliases to
> C-99 types in case the compiler is not GCC.

The argument has been made that the standard C99 types are _optional_,
and anything included from a C library's headers without _explicitly_
being included by the user shouldn't define those types.

Personally, I think that's a load of bollocks. And it certainly doesn't
apply to Linux-specific files like <linux/cdrom.h>, which are perfectly
entitled to use a C standard from last millennium, regardless of
namespace 'pollution' issues. That's why we continue to use the crappy
__u32 types. Can you be more specific about why this is a problem? Don't
we mostly define those crappy types using arch-specific knowledge, as
'int', 'long', etc?

> - Other problems are caused by additional tag definitions that could
> be disabled in case of a non-GCC compile.

We mostly try to remove this from user-visible parts of exported
headers. Sometimes we just remove it altogether; other bits are stripped
at export time when you run 'make headers_install'. Again, can you be
more specific about the problem?

--
dwmw2