Re: Oops in a driver while using SLUB as a SLAB allocator

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 00:27:33 EST

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Hugh Dickins wrote:
>
> > > The oops seems to occur after a page unmapping using dma_unmap_page() followed
> > > by a flush_dcache_page() (in at91mci_post_dma_read()).
>
> Was the page allocated using slab calls?

You've found yes (in the ARM case).

> Well one may be better off allocating pages using the page allocator
> instead of the slab allocator. I removed these things from i386 but I did
> not check ARM.

They may or may not be: I think that's a matter to discuss with rmk.

You keep on forcing the outside world to revolve around your needs
within slub.c: that is a good way to keep slub lean, and may be
justified; but it's at least questionable to be enforcing such
restrictions years after people have grown accustomed to more
freedom from their slabs.

Hugh