Re: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re:[linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed inzc0301_core.c

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 11:22:58 EST

Em Sex, 2007-06-22 Ãs 16:27 +0200, Roman Zippel escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
> > Hi Roman,
> >
> > Several instabilities on Kconfig started to happen after replacing
> > Kconfig menus to use menuconfig, as this one, reported by Oliver:

> There is too little context here, what was the exact error?
> I'm assuming it's the module vs. builtin problem?

I also got copied on this without the full context.

> The menuconfig patches were a little aggressive here, it created a config
> symbol where there was none before and in this case it even changed
> dependencies (it turns USB into a bool).
Hmm... Probably the change from tristate to bool caused the regression.

> I'm also a little irritated by the "default y", if I enable V4L I'm very
> tempted to check what other useless stuff has been automatically enabled,
> which I have to turn off again.

The added "default y" are the ones bellow:

menuconfig VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS
bool "Video capture adapters"
depends on VIDEO_DEV
default y

menuconfig V4L_USB_DRIVERS
bool "V4L USB devices"
depends on USB
default y

menuconfig RADIO_ADAPTERS
bool "Radio Adapters"
depends on VIDEO_DEV
default y

menuconfig DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS
bool "DVB/ATSC adapters"
depends on DVB_CORE
default y

config DAB
boolean "DAB adapters"
default y

All of them are used just to open a submenu.

I'm to keep "default y" for the menuconfig items.

Since those don't generate any code (there's no Makefile items
associated with the menuconfig vars), this will just improve the
usability for the final user (and will allow make oldconfig to work).
There's not much sense on selecting V4L support without selecting a V4L
driver.

Cheers,
Mauro