Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] schedule BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA for removal

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jun 23 2007 - 00:21:22 EST

Paul Mackerras wrote:
Alan Cox writes:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:39:45 +0800
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 01:52 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
Users should use the libata based drivers for SATA drives.
NAK. Not all IDE drivers are converted yet. Not even all the relatively
common ones.
All the common SATA ones are. Just the PowerPC people are falling behind.
Really we should obsolete powerpc instead ;)

What SATA drive uses a non-libata driver on PowerPC? In fact the
sata_svw driver used for SATA drives on G5s was one of the early
libata drivers. Or are you talking about PATA?

This entire thread is confused :)

Going back to $subject, it is relevant only to the scant few old-IDE drivers that do indeed successfully probe and talk to SATA drives, from SATA controllers.

The vast majority have always used libata for SATA, but another option did indeed exist before libata appeared, for a few controllers.

Alan was just having a bit of fun at dwmw2's expense, since we do indeed want to see libata drivers for PowerPC PATA as well :)

Jeff