Re: Linux on XScale 270

From: Dmitry Krivoschekov
Date: Sat Jun 23 2007 - 16:22:35 EST

Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> Typing "Linux XScale 270 or 27x" brings you a lot of pages but not an

Probably "XScale 270" is not the best word combination for this,
the exact processor name is PXA270 (formerly Intel, now Marvell).
> in depth doc/HOWTO how to compile your own kernel and make a boot
> image for that arch. The vendor from which I get the XScale sponsored
> has ready to use Linux images and source on his webpage, but they're
> kinda old and dusty.
> http://www.toradex.ch/colibri_downloads/Linux/
>
> So what are the steps I've to take, to get a Linux Kernel on a XScale?

Assuming the mainline kernel already includes support for your machine,

1. get the latest stable Linux kernel
2. compile the kernel:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<your_crosscompiler_prefix>
<your_machine_name>_defconfig
make <kernel_image_name>

For example, to compile the kernel for Mainstone platform
with blob flashed, do the following:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux- mainstone_defconfig
make zImage

3. boot the image as appropriate for your bootloader

> It's obvious that I need a cross compiler for ARM, bootloader images
> and so on, but it's the gory details I'm curios about.
>
> Links to HOWTOs, documentation highly appreciated. And probably
> there's also a better suited maillist than LKML for this, to a
> pointer to that (if existing) would be nice, too.

linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - for kernel-specific issues
linux-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - for general questions

these are the most appropriate lists for your questions
(your subscription is required).

Regards,
Dmitry