Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v18

From: Antonino Ingargiola
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 03:27:30 EST

2007/6/24, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>:

* Antonino Ingargiola <tritemio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, I've discovered with great pleasure that CFS has also the
> SCHED_ISO priority. I may have missed something, but I don't remember
> to have read this in any of the CFS release notes :). For me this is a
> really useful feature. Thanks.

well, it's only a hack and emulated: SCHED_ISO in CFS is recognized as a
policy but it falls back to SCHED_NORMAL. Could you check how well this
(i.e. SCHED_NORMAL) works for your workload, compared to SD's SCHED_ISO?

To be fair, my workload is not really "critical". I'm used to
skip-free audio listening (no matter what) since long time running my
audio player with SCHED_ISO. Even in mainline the skips aren't so
frequent, but still annoying. I'm using SCHED_ISO for the confidence
it gives in providing skip-free audio.

For my modest needs also CFS SCHED_NORMAL has been just fine (in these
latest days). I'll report if I can find a more critical workload that
can possibly stress CFS SCHED_NORMAL.

Regards,

~ Antonio