Re: [NETFILTER] early_drop() imrovement (v3)

From: Vasily Averin
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 09:22:37 EST

Patrick McHardy wrote:

Patrick, thank you for your tips, I'll remake the patch.

> I don't like the NF_CT_PER_BUCKET constant. First of all, each
> conntrack is hashed twice, so its really only 1/2 of the average
> conntracks per bucket. Secondly, its only a default and many
> people use nf_conntrack_max = nf_conntrack_htable_size / 2, so
> using this constant for early_drop seems wrong.

> Perhaps make it 2 * nf_conntrack_max / nf_conntrack_htable_size
> or even add a nf_conntrack_eviction_range sysctl.

IMHO The number of conntracks checked in early_drop() have following restrictions:
- it should be not too low -- to decrease chances of transmission failures,
- it should be limited by some reasonable value -- to prevent long check delays.

Also I believe it makes sense to have it constant (how about NF_CT_EVICTION
name?) -- to have the same behaviour on various nodes. However I doubt strongly
that anybody will want to change this value. Do you think it is really required?

thank you,
Vasily Averin