Re: [BUG] long freezes on thinkpad t60

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 16:11:19 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the sequence counters, the situation is more complex:
>
> CPU #0 CPU #1
>
> A (= code before the spinlock)
>
> lock xadd mem (serializing instruction)
>
> B (= code afte xadd, but not inside lock)
>
> lock release
>
> cmp head, tail
>
> C (= code inside the lock)
>
> Now, B is basically the empty set, but that's not the issue I worry
> about. The thing is, I can guarantee by the Intel memory ordering
> rules that neither B nor C will ever have memops that leak past the
> "xadd", but I'm not at all as sure that we cannot have memops in C
> that leak into B!
>
> And B really isn't protected by the lock - it may run while another
> CPU still holds the lock, and we know the other CPU released it only
> as part of the compare. But that compare isn't a serializing
> instruction!
>
> IOW, I could imagine a load inside C being speculated, and being moved
> *ahead* of the load that compares the spinlock head with the tail!
> IOW, the load that is _inside_ the spinlock has effectively moved to
> outside the protected region, and the spinlock isn't really a reliable
> mutual exclusion barrier any more!
>
> (Yes, there is a data-dependency on the compare, but it is only used
> for a conditional branch, and conditional branches are control
> dependencies and can be speculated, so CPU speculation can easily
> break that apparent dependency chain and do later loads *before* the
> spinlock load completes!)
>
> Now, I have good reason to believe that all Intel and AMD CPU's have a
> stricter-than-documented memory ordering, and that your spinlock may
> actually work perfectly well. But it still worries me. As far as I can
> tell, there's a theoretical problem with your spinlock implementation.

hm, i agree with you that this is problematic. Especially on an SMT CPU
it would be a big architectural restriction if prefetches couldnt cross
cache misses. (and that's the only way i could see Nick's scheme
working: MESI coherency coupled with the speculative use of that
cacheline's value never "surviving" a MESI invalidation of that
cacheline. That would guarantee that once we have the lock, any
speculative result is fully coherent and no other CPU has modified it.)

Ingo