Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

From: Patrick Draper
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 20:18:54 EST

Rene Herman wrote:
KDE has finally dropped aRts from KDE4 and, again, ALSA has been mixing by default for some time now so we're talking history anyway. You want mixing on your card? You got it.

I've been following this discussion with some interest, to learn more about ALSA. I've been creating startup scripts for all of my sound-using applications which look like this:

LD_PRELOAD=libaoss.so exec /usr/bin/alsaplayer "$*"

I found that without libaoss.so preloaded, I wasn't getting software mixing at all. I'm constantly running an MP3 player, and with that library I can get sound alerts from other apps too.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by ALSA mixing by default. I have the OSS Mixer API selected during kernel compiles. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Patrick