Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume

From: David Chinner
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 00:56:53 EST

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:49:24PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > FWIW, I'm on record stating that "sync" is not sufficient to quiesce an XFS
> > filesystem for a suspend/resume to work safely and have argued that the only
>
> Hmm, so XFS writes to disk even when its threads are frozen?

They issue async I/O before they sleep and expects
processing to be done on I/O completion via workqueues.

> > safe thing to do is freeze the filesystem before suspend and thaw it after
> > resume. This is why I originally asked you to test that with the other problem
>
> Could you add that to the XFS threads if it is really required? They
> do know that they are being frozen for suspend.

We don't suspend the threads on a filesystem freeze - they continue
run. A filesystem freeze guarantees the filesystem clean and that
the in memory state matches what is on disk. It is not possible for
the filesytem to issue I/O or have outstanding I/O when it is in the
frozen state, so the state of the threads and/or workqueues does not
matter because they will be idle.

Cheers,

Dave.
--