Re: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 17:06:18 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:00:27 +0200
> Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 06/28/2007 06:30 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

>> > Public domain is GPL compatible.
>>
>> Would you happen to have an opinion on the attached? I don't so much need it
>
> The answer is "NO!!!!"
>
> Public domain also means "I don't have to give you the source".
> If its merged with the kernel the resulting work is GPL anyway
>
>> Stating that code which one intends to be in the public domain has "GPL and
>> additional rights" is a bit of a travesty though.
>
> Indeed if its public domain you may have almost no rights at all
> depending what you were given. Once you get the source code you can do
> stuff but I don't have to give you that. If its public domain I can find
> security holes in it, and refuse to provide the fixed module in source
> form even.

The GPL forces nobody to not release his module under PD, therefore it can't
protect you from that. Even minor changes - like adjusting the module to use
to the current API - won't change that, at least in Germany they'd have to
qualify as a work of their own in order to create a GPL-only derived work,
because anything not qualifying for that could also be integrated into the
PD version, and both would remain identical.
--
"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are
guaranteed to always hit the ground."