Re: [i386] Questions regarding provisional page tables initialization

From: Ahmed S. Darwish
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 11:43:32 EST

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 07:34:20AM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:
> Ahmed S. Darwish wrote:
> > now back to head.S code:
> > leal 0x007(%edi),%ecx /* Create PDE entry */
> >
> > Isn't the above line the same condition (bytes, not bits displacement) ?.
> > Thanks for your patience !.
>
> The leal instruction (Load Effective Address) is often used as a way to
> add a constant to one register and store the result in another register
> in a single instruction.
> [...]

At last I got it due to all of everybody's very nice explanations :).
Here's the provisional page tables intialization scenario:

We want to store pg0 pte addresses to high 20bits swapper_pg_dir entries,
we also want the PRESENT,RW,USER flags be set in those entries. This is
done by getting the address of each pg0 entry and adding 7 to it (Brian's
note). Since pg0 entires address are page aligned(Andreas, Jeremy notes),
adding 7 will assure that the first 3 bits are set without affecting the
high 20 bits.

Big Thanks!,

--
Ahmed S. Darwish