Re: mss to pmtu clamping partially broken?

From: Phil Dibowitz
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 15:35:56 EST

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:16:57PM +0200, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Phil Dibowitz wrote:

>>> You never know when you hit ICMP blackholes, broken routers and other
>>> evil things. Better safe than sorry so clamping is the way to go for me.
>>
>> I encourage you to report PMTUD Blackholes to the MSS Initiative at
>> http://www.phildev.net/mss/
>
> Any chances for similar initiative for "SACK vandals"? ;)

There's already a counterpart for ECN blackholes, so I'm not opposed to it.
However, keeping up with new reports, re-testing existing offenders, etc.
takes up a good chunk of time, so I don't have the time to do it myself. I'm
happy to reference such a site, however.

Though - I'm not familiar with the problem of SACK vandals either. There
appears to be a thread on here, I'll go read it...

--
Phil Dibowitz phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming