Re: Versioning file system

From: John Stoffel
Date: Thu Jul 05 2007 - 10:03:00 EST

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Mouw <mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Erik> (sorry for the late reply, just got back from holiday)
Erik> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:29:56PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
>> As I mentioned in my Linux.conf.au presentation a year and a half ago,
>> the main use of Streams in Windows to date has been for system
>> crackers to hide trojan horse code and rootkits so that system
>> administrators couldn't find them. :-)

Erik> The only valid use of Streams in Windows I've seen was a virus
Erik> checker that stored a hash of the file in a separate
Erik> stream. Checking a file was a matter of rehashing it and
Erik> comparing against the hash stored in the special hash data
Erik> stream for that particular file.

So what was stopping a virus from infecting a file, re-computing the
hash and pushing the new hash into the stream?

You need to keep the computed hashes on Read-Only media for true
security, once you let the system change them, then you're toast....

John