SMART problems in 2.6.22

From: Bruce Allen
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 20:44:09 EST

Mark, David, Doug, Tejin, Alan, Jeff, LKML,

I'm afraid that there may be some problem with SMART + libata in the 2.6.22 kernel. An hour ago I discovered that I missed a month of correspondence (some LKML, some private) about this problem which Alan, Tejun, Jeff, Mark and others copied to me -- it was automatically shoved into one of my mailboxes by my mail client. Sorry about that. So I am trying to catch up to see if there is some real problem or not.

Here is a typical bug report that worries me:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/4712

Here is another similar report:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/4713

And another report:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg358354.html

From some of the earlier threads that I missed (below) I have the
impression that the problem may be a very simple one, namely that starting with 2.6.22 one needs to run a command to enable SMART when a box is first booted -- the kernel no longer does this as part of the init/setup of the disks. But that is NOT consistent with the first two reports above, which show 'SMART ENABLED'.

Here are some of the earlier threads that I completely missed:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0706.1/0849.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg164863.html

Before I go off half-cocked, could anyone shed some light on this? Is there a real problem here or just something dumb?

Cheers,
Bruce