Re: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)

From: Kunai, Takashi
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 01:15:35 EST

Hi Micheal,

This is a late response to your summary below.

First of all, there is a lot of interest in this issue among Japanese
vendor community. Recently, I have built a Japanese mailing list to
discuss this issue. I'm posting this comment resulting from such discussion.

(1) Your kernel development proposal will be greatly supported by
Japanese vendor community. At the same time, it needs support from the
kernel communities, as well.
(2) As for message ID's, you proposed 3 ways; (a)adding message numbers,
(b)printk hashes and (c)Format strings. (a) seems difficult to get
supports from kernel developers and (c) lacks uniqueness of each
message. Though (b) also lacks uniqueness, adding component id and/or
file name (files name could be hashed, as well), it could achieve some
practical level of uniqueness. To avoid ugly message format, it could be
possible to introduce a system parameter to suppress this hash ids.
Thus, our preference is (b).
(3) As for a documentation file, outside of kernel source tree would be
fine.
(4) When this kernel message scheme become feasible, it will be needed
to talk about the standardized contents of each description
(meanings/actions/etc).

Takashi Kunai
--
Kunai, Takashi
The Linux Foundation Japan (New since '07/2/5)