Re: [patch 09/10] Remove the SLOB allocator for 2.6.23

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 07:04:36 EST

Hi Nick,

On 7/9/07, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SLOB contains several significant O(1) and also O(n) memory savings that
are so far impossible-by-design for SLUB. They are: slab external
fragmentation is significantly reduced; kmalloc internal fragmentation is
significantly reduced; order of magnitude smaller kmem_cache data type;
order of magnitude less code...

I assume with "slab external fragmentation" you mean allocating a
whole page for a slab when there are not enough objects to fill the
whole thing thus wasting memory? We could try to combat that by
packing multiple variable-sized slabs within a single page. Also,
adding some non-power-of-two kmalloc caches might help with internal
fragmentation.

In any case, SLUB needs some serious tuning for smaller machines
before we can get rid of SLOB.