Re: speed trends in pata world.

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 07:18:56 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

The drive speeds seem to be going the wrong way. Its an nforce2 equipt mobo, and I have 3 drives currently in this box. Running 2.6.22-rc6-cfs-v18 + the ftdi_sio.c patch.

hda, the primary on cable 0, is running at around 28MB/Sec. Its a 200GB WD about 2 years old.

hdb, is running at around 79MB/Sec, its a 4 year old 120GB WD.
hdd is running at about 75MB/Sec, is a nearly new 300GB WD.

Can I read anything into the fact that the 2 fast drives are on the slave end of the cables, whereas the slow one is master in the middle of the cable?

First look at dmesg and see what it tells you. Second, if there is a slow device on the cable it will sometimes limit the speed of the disk. Alan Cox and God might know why, I don't.

Third, you can play with drive parameters with hdparm. *DANGEROUS* to do so, the man page says "needless and risky," but at least the older kernels truly sucked at guessing the correct speeds. Backups are advised if you do this, etc,etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>