Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23 -- sys_fallocate

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 14:43:00 EST

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:05:31 +0200
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Alternatively I can push them directly to Linus along with other ext4
> > patches. We can drop the s390 patch if Martin or Heiko wants to wire
> > it up themselves.
>
> Yes, please drop the s390 patch. In general it seems to be better if only
> one architecture gets a syscall wired up initially and let other arches
> follow later.

Yep.

otoh, fallocate() was special, because we had so many problems working out
how to organise the args so that certain kooky architectures can implement
it.

> Just wondering if the x86_64 compat syscall gets ever fixed? I think
> I mentioned already three or four times to Amit that it is broken.
> Or is it that nobody cares? Dunno..
>
> In addition there used to be a somewhat inofficial rule that new syscalls
> have to come with a test program, so people can easily test if they wired
> up the syscall correctly.

Yes please. I normally just slam the whole .c file into the changelog.

I'd support an ununofficial rule that submitters of new syscalls also raise
a patch against LTP, come to that...