Re: -mm merge plans -- anti-fragmentation

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 14:46:18 EST

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> I realise in your pragmatic approach, you are encouraging users to
> put fallbacks in place in case a higher order page cannot be allocated,
> but I don't think either higher order pagecache or higher order slubs
> have such fallbacks (fsblock or a combination of fsblock and higher
> order pagecache could have, but...).

We have run mm kernels for month now without the need of a fallback. I
purpose of ZONE_MOVABLE was to guarantee that higher order pages could be
reclaimed and thus make the scheme reliable?

The experience so far shows that the approach works reliably. If there are
issues then they need to be fixed. Putting in workarounds in other places
such as in fsblock may just be hiding problems if there are any.