Re: fallocate-implementation-on-i86-x86_64-and-powerpc.patch

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 19:27:58 EST

Jeff Garzik writes:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > So I dropped everything. Let's start again from scratch. I'd suggest that
> > for now we go with just an i386/x86_64 implementation, let the arch
> > maintainers wire things up when that has settled down.
>

> It's my observation that that plan usually works the best. Arch

... except when the initial implementer picks an argument order which
doesn't work on some archs, as happened with sys_sync_file_range.
That is also the case with fallocate IIRC.

We did come up with an order that worked for everybody, but that
discussion seemed to get totally ignored by the ext4 developers.

Paul.