Re: fallocate-implementation-on-i86-x86_64-and-powerpc.patch

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 11:40:24 EST

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:50:49AM +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:27:40 +1000
> > Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > We did come up with an order that worked for everybody, but that
> > > discussion seemed to get totally ignored by the ext4 developers.

Well, in the end it was a toss-up between

asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t offset, loff_t len)

and

asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(loff_t offset, loff_t len, int fd, int mode)

There were a number of folks who preferred having int fd first, and I
*thought* Amit had gotten agreement from either Martin or Heiko that
it was ok to do this as an exception, even though it was extra work
for that arch. But if not, we can try going back the second
alternative, or even the 6 32-bits args (off_high, off_low, len_high,
len_low) approach, but I think that drew even more fire.

Basically, no one approach made everyone happy, and at the end of the
day sometimes you have to choose. I thought we had settled this in
May with something that people could live with, but if we need to
reopen the discussion, better now than later.....

- Ted