Re: SATA exceptions

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 13:16:08 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

S.ÃaÄlar Onur wrote:
07 Tem 2007 Cts tarihinde, Robert Hancock ÅunlarÄ yazmÄÅtÄ:
It's not the free space on the drive that matters, it's the number of
free sectors in the spare sector pool on the drive, which is invisible
to software.

Your SMART log shows 309 reallocated sectors. That seems somewhat high..
Ah sorry to misinterpret the content:), its a quiet new piece of hardware (at most ~1.5 month old) and "Reallocated_Event_Count" constantly increases (currently its increased to 313) and although i'm not 100 percent sure these errors only occured with kernels > 2.6.18 (or 2.6.18 didn't report these cause according to kern.log these only visible with 2.6.22+)

OS and driver can't really do much about the reallocation event. Some
number of reallocations is okay but if you it going up constantly, you
probably have a dying disk.

Or, as I learned the hard way, if you have the problem on all drives sharing a power supply, a power issue.

We bought 3 HP Pavillon dv2385ea and one of them only runs with 2.6.18 and its smartctl output follows as a reference;

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 253 253 010 Pre-fail 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 253 253 000 Old_age

Hmm... This is pretty high too. Do the counts increase on this machine too?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>