Re: Linux 2.6.22 released

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 18:38:26 EST

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

> I just checked with today's gcc 4.2 (070711) freshly compiled and from a quick inspection
> the code looks correct again. So perhaps it has been already fixed?

Did you see the breakage with the original compiler? It might be some
config setup or something.

But yeah, if Debian/sid is just using random compiler snapshots of the
day, I htink we can just bury this as "pointless".

Who the heck takes a compiler snapshot and runs with it? At least when
your kernel breaks, it seldom breaks subtly (but I would expect that most
distros would not pick random nightly kernel builds). When your compiler
breaks, you have random problems in totally unexpected places, the last
thing you want to have is a random nightly snapshot in a distro - even a
development one.

Strange.

Linus