Re: [linux-usb-devel] [2.6.22-rc7] khubd NULL deref oops...

From: Cornelia Huck
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 03:30:25 EST

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:41:13 -0400 (EDT),
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>
> > > Try disabling CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. It makes lots of USB bugs go away
> >
> > I'll give it a shot. For the record, I wasn't trying to perform a
> > suspend at this time (or since booting).
>
> I doubt that USB suspend has any connection with this problem. It's
> clear that the problem occurs in the driver core when the SCSI core
> tries to unregister a device. It's not directly related to USB at all.

Hm, it seems that the class device's kobject is not set up correctly
(at least, not its name) when make_class_name() is called. Might be
that it is unregistered before it has been added completely (at least,
before kobject_set_name() has been called).

> In fact, it looks like the bug is connected with
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED. You can try to see what happens with that
> switch disabled.

Turning on verbose driver core messages (CONFIG_DEBUG_DRIVER) while
leaving on CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED may also be worthwile.