kernel autoconfig option?

From: Mark Shelby
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 10:19:09 EST

I have used Linux for about 9+ years. I have built several kernels.
The install process has gotten quite a bit better. The config menus are great!

I just downloaded and am setting up the 2.6.22 kernel.

I joined this list to ask a specific question:

Would it be possible to design a program to scan your existing system
hardware and pre-select your onboard hardware options within the
kernel config menus?

I am building this particular kernel on a laptop and am not likely to
be adding new hardware anytime soon! The only flaw I can find is in
add-on peripherals. I guess you'd want some way for the kernel to
anticipate & build in "useability" for common hardware plugins.

Am I just crazy, or wouldn't this idea mke a lot of sense? Wouldn't it
pretty much make the kernel "idiot proof" when installing from source?